Monday, April 18, 2016

Response to Performance One

Going into this first project, I didn't know what to expect. The concept of intermedia was so different than anything I had ever done, so I was really unsure of how things would pan out. We started with the idea of brushing our teeth, going in the same directions, at the same speed, gradually increasing velocity. But we wanted more. One of us suggested we use a sink....but that would be too literal, so we turned to Ben, Ben became our willing sink. So we had a set up. Lily and I would brush our teeth, and we would spit everything out on to Ben. But we wanted to go even further still. So we came to the conclusion that we were going to use an entire tube of toothpaste during a performance. It was gonna be messy, and we weren't sure how well we'd be able to keep our composure, but we managed somehow! Of course until Lily started making weird gurgling noises....then all three of us lost it. Honestly that was the most fun I've ever had performing anything ever. I love this! For our next performance of this piece, we want Ben in all black, maybe the two of us in white, and we want more of a mess. So we're going to have cups of water to rinse with and by the end of the performance, Ben will be drenched...and next time, it won't just be his shirt....hell he might not even wear a shirt. We shall see. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Gen,

    I was just so impressed by the feelings of discomfort that you all caused. It was one of those things where you are struggling to watch but just can't look away. Amidst the feelings of discomfort I also felt so many interjections of humor. I wanted to burst out laughing so many times. At the same time I was just like oh this poor dude. What made this piece so strong was the unapologetic nature of the spitting. There was no hesitation only a build up of intensity. It almost looked effortless for you and Lily which made it all the more comical. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what you do with this if you should revisit this performance again! Exciting work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great comment Viviana. I am also looking forward to more from this trio. Post some photos, please, GEN!

    ReplyDelete